VATICAN CITY – “The Vatican has formally proposed a way to reconcile with a breakaway group of ultra-traditionalist Catholics in a final bid to end a quarter-century of schism, offering it a special legal status in the church currently enjoyed only by the conservative Opus Dei movement.
The Vatican said Thursday it had proposed making the Society of St. Pius X a “personal prelature” — akin to a diocese without borders.”
1. In 2009, Pope Benedict made a move to bring the group back into the fold by removing the excommunications of the four bishops.
2. Benedict has allowed greater use of the pre-Vatican ii (Latin Mass), which the SSPX celebrate.
3. Richard Williamson, one of the excommunicated SSPX bishops, made headlines that same year when he denied the full extent of the Holocaust in a television interview broadcast on the same day his excommunication was lifted.
4. SSPX websites, publications and representatives have charged contemporary Jews with deicide (killing Jesus Christ), have endorsed the Protocols of the Elders of Zion (which accuses Jews of harboring a plan for global domination), and have claimed that there is factual basis for the “blood libel” (that Jews murder children to use their blood in rituals).
5. Members of the Jewish community are watching the result of these talks with intense interest.
Contrast between two Popes:
The Vatican has confirmed that Pope Benedict XVI has made an offer of reconciliation to the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX), and the Vatican has prepared a document that would establish a personal prelature for the traditionalist group. (Catholic World View)
Pope John Paul II, blessed the Jewish people calling the Shoah (Holocaust) the Golgatha (place where Christ was crucified): “Auschwitz, along with so many other concentration camps, remains the
horribly eloquent symbol of the effects of totalitarianism. It is our duty to
make a pilgrimage to these places, in mind and heart, on this 50th anniversary.
As I said at the Mass celebrated in 1979 at Brzezinka near Auschwitz: ‘I
kneel at this Golgotha of the modern world.‘
The Abrahamic Covenant that God made as an everlasting promise to Abraham and his descendants is on display for all to see:
Genesis 12:3 “I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you.”
No scandal reached to Pope John Paul II, and he died with the dignity of his position intact.
Pope Benedict, however, is mired in three scandals:
March 2010- The pedophilia scandal has reached Pope Benedict as accusations of having moved sixty-two year-old Pastor Peter H., who had been providing pastoral care at the church for the past two years and had been tried and convicted of sexual abuse in 1986. Not only had this conviction been kept secret, but the priest’s superior at one time – Joseph Ratzinger, the former Archbishop of Munich who is today better known as Pope Benedict XVI – had knowingly moved this known pedophile from parish to parish.
On May 28, 2012 – A new Vatican scandal deepened when the pope’s butler, arrested for allegedly releasing confidential documents. The investigation is ongoing.
On June 23, 2012- The Wall Street Journal ran a story of the first Catholic Church official, Msgr. William Lyon, who was tried and found guilty of the crime of child endangerment for moving a priest that had been accused of improper contact with minor boys, opening up other Church officials to possible prosecution.
Click here for our paper: The Abrahamic Covenant Unfolds