Jihad Watch: Erdogan addressed the opening of the Turkish Parliament on October 1 with a ringing declaration that “Jerusalem Has Been Our City For Thousands of Years.” The “our” in “our city” seemed to refer now to the Turks, and now to the “Palestinian people.” The story is here.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Thursday implied that Jerusalem belongs to Turkey, referring to the Ottoman Empire’s control over the city for much of the modern era.
In this city that we had to leave in tears during the First World War, it is still possible to come across traces of the Ottoman resistance. So Jerusalem is our city, a city from us,” he told Turkish lawmakers during a major policy speech in Ankara. “
Opinion: Backdrop for war.
The secular thinking is that as more Islamic nations make peace with Israel the economic benefits will bring a new era of peace in the Middle East. Sounds good, but that is not what our Bibles tells us will happen, and Turkey will play a big role.
Here is a map rendering of the future Gog Magog invasion.
While dispensational Bible scholars vary on the exact placement of each ancient name, the central fact that they do agree on is that at least 7 nations and possibly more will make a surprise attack on Israel to take its vast wealth (Plunder).
The War of Gog and Magog
Ezek. 38:1-3 “Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him, and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal.”
- Gog is a prince of (Rosh) Russia; a title of a strong leader.
- Magog is the 2nd son of Japheth (a son of Noah) who settled in what is today Russia
- Meshech and Tubal, were once a part of Turkey.
Ezek. 38:4 “I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords.”
Ezekiel 38:5 NIV “Persia, Cush and Put will be with them, all with shields and helmets, also Gomer with all its troops, and Beth Togarmah from the far north with all its troops—the many nations with you.”’
- Persia is modern day Iran.
- Cush (eldest son of Noah’s son Ham) is the area of Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia
- Put (third son of Ham) is the area of Libya, possibly Tunisia and Algeria
- Gomer, Beth Togarmah, Meshech, Tubal are ancient names for Turkey
- Many nations with you: possibly additional North African Islamic allies
The Gog Magog invasion to religious Jews is the final war. Gog Magog to Bible prophecy students using the OT and NT place this war at just before the 7 years tribulation or in the beginning months of it.
What fascinates me how God will use this war in miraculous ways:
- Ezekiel 38:21: To bring victory to His people
- Ezekiel 38:23 To magnify Himself to the nations, that they will know the Lord
- Ezekiel 39:7 To make His name known ‘in the midst’ of His people’ Israel
- Ezekiel 39:11 To bury Gog and his attackers in the land of Israel and cleanse the land
- Ezekiel 39:21 To set His glory among the nations so that all will see His judgment on His people
- Ezekiel 39:22 So the house of Israel shall know the Lord their God from that day forward
- Ezekiel 39:28 So Israel will know that the Lord their God sent them into captivity but brought them back from the land leaving none behind.
See Bible prophecy 101 chapter 6 for more here