The IDF attacked targets in the Gaza Strip early Friday morning, in retaliation for the barrage of rockets that was fired on southern Israel hours earlier.
On Thursday night, shortly before midnight, sirens were sounded in the city of Ashkelon and in Kibbutz Zikim and Karmia. The IDF confirmed that two rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip and were intercepted by the IDF Aerial Defense Array.
There were no initial reports of physical injuries or damages.
Shortly after the IDF attack, at around 3:30 a.m., sirens were sounded in kibbutz Nir Oz, Magen and Ein HaBesor.
The rockets were fired in response to the IDF’s counterterrorism operation in Jenin early Thursday morning, in which eight Palestinians Arabs were killed, the majority of them Islamic Jihad terrorists who were planning attacks against Israelis.
“For they have consulted together with one consent; They form a confederacy against You: The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites …” Psalm 83:5-6
ירי רקטות לעבר אשקלון. ככל הנראה יירוטים. pic.twitter.com/L3aovHlMvl
— Or Heller אור הלר (@OrHeller) January 26, 2023
Earlier on Thursday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi, and senior defense officials held a situation assessment in which they ordered “increased preparedness” for any scenario.
At the conclusion of the meeting, Netanyahu’s office said that the Prime Minister made it clear that Israel was not looking to escalate the situation, but that he instructed the security forces to prepare for any scenario in the various arenas, in order to protect the citizens of Israel.
Meanwhile on Thursday evening, the Palestinian Authority announced it was halting security coordination with Israel over the raid.
The move was announced by the PA’s deputy cabinet leader, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, who said that “security coordination with the occupation government no longer exists as of now,” in light of the “repeated aggression against our people, and the undermining of signed agreements.”
Abu Rudeineh also said that the PA intended to file another complaint with the UN Security Council and the International Criminal Court over Thursday morning’s raid.