Prophecy News Watch: Ligonier Ministries and LifeWay Research has published their most recent State of Theology study, and the results show a confused collection of beliefs held by American Christians and especially evangelicals.
The study consisted of interviews with 3,000 adult Christians and follows similar surveys given in 2014 and 2016. Startlingly high percentages of respondents again revealed clearly heretical beliefs when they were asked about the nature of God and belief, their opinions on certain sins and the role of the Bible.
That remains to be answered, but the results of these questions show several interesting trends in belief following the previous surveys as well as demographic trends among generations. more …
Opinion: It is little wonder that the church is a mess. The falling away began in the 2nd century AD with church theologian, Origen, commonly noted as the ‘father of the allegory’ who began a quest of allegorizing Scripture.
Origen was followed by Chrysostom and Augustine who together explained away four-fifths of prophetic Scripture as symbolic or allegorical.
Is it any wonder then that:
- 59% stated that the Holy Spirit is a force – not a personal being
- 62% of American Christians surveyed believe that “religious belief is a matter of personal opinion and not of objective truth
- Only 52% of Christians identified abortion as a sin – 38% declared it not to be a sin (others were unsure)
- 41% of Christians interviewed believe that the Bible’s condemnation of homosexuality does not apply today.
Or is it hard to believe recent headlines:
- August 15, 2015 “The United Methodist Church removes Father from Apostles Creed”
- August 26, 2016 “Leading Scholar Says Bible Should Not Be Taken Literally”
- December 13, 2017 “Vatican Echoes Arab Appeal Concerning Jerusalem Status”
- May 26, 2018 “Pope Francis tells gay man ‘God made you like this and loves you like this”
Without a literal reading of Scripture and a clear understanding of Biblical prophecy the church is confused and is easy prey for the evil one.
(For more see Bible Prophecy 101 chapter 3 “Doctrines That Divide Christians here)