Newsweek: The U.S. has accused Russia of upping the stakes in Libya by sending fighter jets to support Russian mercenaries fighting there, as rival factions struggle for control of the war-torn nation more than nine years after rebels first rose up against late dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Russian President Vladimir Putin—along with Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia—is backing strongman Khalifa Haftar, who heads the Libyan National Army (LNA). He is fighting the United Nations-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA), which is now being supported militarily by Turkey and diplomatically by the U.S. and other Western nations.
Opinion: “I know, I know!”
“Persia, Cush and Put will be with them, all with shields and helmets, 6 also Gomer with all its troops, and Beth Togarmah from the far north with all its troops—the many nations with you.” Ezekiel 36:5-6 NIV
- Persia is modern day Iran.
- Cush (eldest son of Noah’s son Ham) is the area of Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia
- Put (third son of Ham) is the area of Libya
- Gomer, Beth Togarmah, Meshech, Tubal are ancient names for Turkey
- Many nations with you: possibly additional North African Islamic allies
Let’s back up to – who is them? Ezekiel 38:1-6 prophesies a still future war of annihilation to be launched to eliminate the Jewish state of Israel once and for all.
“Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him, and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal.” Ez. 38:1-3
- Gog is a prince of (Rosh) Russia; a title of a strong leader.
- Magog is the 2nd son of Japheth (a son of Noah) who settled in what is today Russia
- Josephus, the first century Jewish historian, identified the offspring of Magog as the Scythians (Edomites from Judea and Persia) who were known as brutal, horse-riding nomads that resided in the area of modern-day southern Russia and East Ukraine.
- Meshech and Tubal, once a part of Turkey.
Ezek. 38:4 “I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords.”
This will be Israel’s final war leading to the tribulation. A reluctant Gog, knowing that Israel has a formidable army and hundreds of (unspoken) nukes, will have no choice but attack after Israel eliminates her immediate Arab neighbors in the Psalm 83 war.
The war will be about plunder, possibly Israel’s massive natural gas reserve in the Levant, that will compete with Russia in gas sales to Europe in 2025.
With Russia’s backing, Turkey proposed an Economic Zone with Libya
The plan was two-fold: Put Turkey into close proximity with Israel and its offshore natural gas facilities and disrupt the planned EastMed Pipeline before it is laid.
Libya has a role to play as a pawn of these guys:
See Bible Prophecy 101 Chapter 6, for the outcome of the Gog Magog war here