Arutz Sheva: Prime Minister Yair Lapid met Tuesday with Jordanian King Abdullah II on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in New York City.
The two leaders were expected to discuss the security situation in Judea and Samaria, which has seen a number of terrorist attacks in recent months.
Before his meeting with Lapid, the Jordanian monarch used his address at the UN General Assembly to extol Jordan’s role as the custodian of Muslim holy sites in Jerusalem and to warn against any changes to the status quo on the Temple Mount.
“The future of Jerusalem is an urgent concern. The city is holy to billions of Muslims, Christians and Jews around the world. Undermining Jerusalem’s legal and historical status quo triggers global tensions and deepens religious divides,” Abdullah said.
He added: “The holy city must not be a place for hatred and division and as custodians of Jerusalem’s Muslim and holy sites we are committed to protecting the historical and legal status quo and to their safety and future.”
Opinion: You have to be amazed at the chutzpah (Yiddish, audacity) of the king of Jordan. You see, if not for the empire-killing decision of formerly ‘Great’ Britain in 1922, there would be no Jordan, and Abdullah would not be a king.
It was in 1922 when Great Britain made the decision to reduce the land promised to Israel in the Balfour Declaration by 78%, to establish Jordan in an all but forgotten two state solution, for Jews and Arabs.
At that time Britain encompassed so many lands that the phrase “The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire”, began to set.
Great Britain began a long slide to its demise as an empire because of the treatment of God’s people and land under the Covenant God made with Abraham …
“I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” Genesis 12:3
… and repeated to Jacob …
“And God said to him, “I am Almighty God. Have many children. Nations will be descended from you, and you will be the ancestor of kings. 12 I will give you the land which I gave to Abraham and to Isaac, and I will also give it to your descendants after you.” Genesis 35:11-12
Palestinians, offspring of Ishmael and Esau, are not mentioned in either covenant.
Excerpt from our post (here) ” Why did Queen Elizabeth II never come visit Israel?”
The mighty British Empire was at the peak of power:
Britain signed the Balfour Declaration that committed Britain to establish a national home for the Jewish people.
World War I ended, the Ottoman Empire collapsed, and the Middle East was to be divided up.
- League of Nations awarded Britain mandates over Transjordan, Palestine, and Iraq.
- League of Nations awarded France mandates over Syria and Lebanon.
- Britain awarded the entire land of Palestine to Israel with no territorial restrictions.
Israel was granted both sides of the Jordan River, totaling 43,075 square miles.
- A few months later, Britain, under pressure from Arabs, altered the Balfour Declaration and took back 32,460 square miles, or 78 percent of the original land grant.
That land was then given to establish Transjordan (modern-day Jordan) for the Arab peoples, leaving approximately 9,500 square miles for Israel.
- The UN proposed a further reduction of land for Israel to 5,560 square miles, or 13 percent of the original land grant. Seventy-five percent of Israel’s allotted land was desert.
- Israel was pushed to land on the West Bank of the Jordan River.
- Israel’s land mass became 5,560 square miles; Arab land mass equaled 6,700,000 square miles.
- The Arab world rejected the United Nations Partition Plan that would have created an Arab state and a Jewish state side by side in Israel. Israel accepted.
In 1948, the tiny nation of Israel was born as the sun began to set on the British Empire.
Today, Britain is a mere shadow of its former glory, as the Palestinian issue still dominates the Monarchy in violation of Genesis 12:3
Many in Israel are speculation that King Charles will right the wrong and make an official state visit to Israel. Based on the cheers of Muslims and fellow Islamophiles as Charles ascended the throne, don’t hold your breath.